Neurochemistry, deep brain stimulation and Parkinson’s disease
BENAZZOUZ Abdelhamid (researcher) CHARLES Keri-Ann (engineering assistant) LAHLOU Lamiaa (PhD student) NAUDET Frédéric (engineering assistant) TIBAR Houyam (PhD student)
For any further information, please contact Dr Abdelhamid Benazzouz.
Our research project aims to better understand the pathophysiology of Parkinson’s disease in order to improve the existing therapeutic approaches and to develop new therapies for the disease. Currently, we especially focus our work on the role of monoaminergic systems in the pathophysiology and therapy of Parkinson’s disease.
Nowadays, motors symptoms of Parkinson’s disease are better defined. We have recently shown the implication of monoamine depletion (noradrenaline, dopamine, serotonin) in the development of motor and non-motor deficits. The issue is now to study more precisely the role of the monoaminergic systems in the pathophysiology and treatments of Parkinson’s disease. Thus, we are working on five topics linked to this thematic:
- Effects of combined monoamine cell degeneration on motor and non-motor functions.
- Effects of combined monoamine cell degeneration on the neuronal activity of brain structures involved in motor and non-motor functions.
- Impact of Noradrenaline and serotonin depletions on the therapeutic efficacy of anti-parkinsonian treatments.
- Mechanisms of the deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus induced obesity (in collaboration with Daniela Cotta, Neurocentre Magendie, Bordeaux University).
- Physiopathological study of alpha-synuclein model in rats : behavior, neurochemistry and electrophysiology.
L-DOPA is currently a reference treatment of Parkinson’s disease, but its effects are not well understood. Thanks to a neurochemical analysis, we are studying the mechanisms of action of this molecule in order to better understand its positive and negative effects. We are developing three topics:
- Study of the mechanism of action of L-DOPA in-depth: role of serotonergic neurons and possible serotonergic strategies for ameliorating L-DOPA therapy.
- Study of the action of L-DOPA on the activity of the basal ganglia.
- Study of incorporation of L-DOPA into proteins.
- Study of the link between subthalamic nucleus oscillations and motor deficits.
- Investigation of the consequences of monoamine modulation (dopamine, noradrenaline and serotonin) on motor and non-motor behaviors and on the neuronal activity of different brain structures implicated in these behaviors.
- Study of the neurochemical consequences of L-Dopa and high frequency stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in the context of Parkinson’s disease.
Criteria : Author : "Abdelhamid,Benazzouz; Philippe, De deurwaerdere", Publication type : "('ART')"
Number of occurrences founded : 32.
- Early prenatal exposure to MPTP does not affect nigrostrial neurons in macaque monkey
- Mathieu Bourdenx, Sandra Dovero, Philippe De Deurwaerdère, Qin Li, Erwan Bezard
- Synapse, Wiley-Blackwell, 2016, 70 (2), 〈10.1002/syn.21876〉
- An Embedded Deep Brain Stimulator for Biphasic Chronic Experiments in Freely Moving Rodents
- Florian Kolbl, Gilles N'Kaoua, Frederic Naudet, Florent Berthier, Emilie Faggiani, Sylvie Renaud, Abdelhamid Benazzouz, Noelle Lewis
- IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, IEEE, 2016, 10 (1), pp.72-84. 〈10.1109/TBCAS.2014.2368788〉
- Pathophysiology of L-dopa-induced motor and non-motor complications in Parkinson's disease.
- Matthieu F. Bastide, Wassilios Meissner, Barbara Picconi, Stefania Fasano, Pierre-Olivier Fernagut, Michael Feyder, Veronica Francardo, Cristina Alcacer, Yuchuan Ding, Ricardo Brambilla, Gilberto Fisone, Stoessl Jon, Mathieu Bourdenx, Michael Engeln, Sylvia Navailles, Philippe De Deurwaerdere, Kin Ko Way, Nicola Simola, Micacla Morelli, Laurent Groc, Maria Cruz Rodriguez, Eugenia Vselvolod Gurevich, Michael Quik, Michele Morari, Manuela Mellone, Fabrizio Gardoni, Elisabetta Tronci, Alan R Crossman, Un Jung Kang, Kathy Steece-Collier, Susan Fox, Mauro Carta, M Angela Cenci, Erwan Bezard
- Progress in Neurobiology, Elsevier, 2015, 〈10.1016〉
- Widespread Monoaminergic Dysregulation of Both Motor and Non-Motor Circuits in Parkinsonism and Dyskinesia.
- Michael Engeln, Philippe De Deurwaerdere, Qin Li, Erwan Bezard, Pierre Olivier Fernagut
- Cerebral Cortex, Oxford University Press (OUP), 2015, 〈10.1093〉
- Blood withdrawal affects iron store dynamics in primates with consequences on monoaminergic system function
- Carole Hyacinthe, Philippe De Deurwaerdere, Thibaud Thiollier, Qin Li, Erwan Bezard, Imad Ghorayeb
- Neuroscience, Elsevier - International Brain Research Organization, 2015, 〈10.1016〉