Neurochemistry, deep brain stimulation and Parkinson’s disease
BENAZZOUZ Abdelhamid (researcher) CHARLES Keri-Ann (engineering assistant) LAHLOU Lamiaa (PhD student) NAUDET Frédéric (engineering assistant) TIBAR Houyam (PhD student)
For any further information, please contact Dr Abdelhamid Benazzouz.
Our research project aims to better understand the pathophysiology of Parkinson’s disease in order to improve the existing therapeutic approaches and to develop new therapies for the disease. Currently, we especially focus our work on the role of monoaminergic systems in the pathophysiology and therapy of Parkinson’s disease.
Nowadays, motors symptoms of Parkinson’s disease are better defined. We have recently shown the implication of monoamine depletion (noradrenaline, dopamine, serotonin) in the development of motor and non-motor deficits. The issue is now to study more precisely the role of the monoaminergic systems in the pathophysiology and treatments of Parkinson’s disease. Thus, we are working on five topics linked to this thematic:
- Effects of combined monoamine cell degeneration on motor and non-motor functions.
- Effects of combined monoamine cell degeneration on the neuronal activity of brain structures involved in motor and non-motor functions.
- Impact of Noradrenaline and serotonin depletions on the therapeutic efficacy of anti-parkinsonian treatments.
- Mechanisms of the deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus induced obesity (in collaboration with Daniela Cotta, Neurocentre Magendie, Bordeaux University).
- Physiopathological study of alpha-synuclein model in rats : behavior, neurochemistry and electrophysiology.
L-DOPA is currently a reference treatment of Parkinson’s disease, but its effects are not well understood. Thanks to a neurochemical analysis, we are studying the mechanisms of action of this molecule in order to better understand its positive and negative effects. We are developing three topics:
- Study of the mechanism of action of L-DOPA in-depth: role of serotonergic neurons and possible serotonergic strategies for ameliorating L-DOPA therapy.
- Study of the action of L-DOPA on the activity of the basal ganglia.
- Study of incorporation of L-DOPA into proteins.
- Study of the link between subthalamic nucleus oscillations and motor deficits.
- Investigation of the consequences of monoamine modulation (dopamine, noradrenaline and serotonin) on motor and non-motor behaviors and on the neuronal activity of different brain structures implicated in these behaviors.
- Study of the neurochemical consequences of L-Dopa and high frequency stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in the context of Parkinson’s disease.
Criteria : Author : "Abdelhamid,Benazzouz; Philippe, De deurwaerdere", Publication type : "('ART')"
Number of occurrences founded : 34.
- Early neurochemical modifications of monoaminergic systems in the R6/1 mouse model of Huntington's disease
- Emilie Puginier, Rahul Bharatiya, Abdeslam Chagraoui, Julien Manem, Yoon Cho, Maurice Garret, Philippe de Deurwaerdère
- Neurochemistry International, Elsevier, 2019, 128, pp.186-195. ⟨10.1016/j.neuint.2019.05.001⟩
- Exogenous LRRK2G2019S induces parkinsonian-like pathology in a nonhuman primate
- Nadine Mestre-Francés, Nicolas Serratrice, Aurélie Gennetier, Gina Devau, Sandra Cobo, Stephanie Trouche, Pascaline Fontes, Charleine Zussy, Philippe de Deurwaerdère, Sara Salinas, Franck Jd Mennechet, Julien Dusonchet, Bernard Schneider, Isabella Saggio, Vasiliki Kalatzis, M Rosario Luquin-Piudo, Jean-Michel Verdier, Eric Kremer, Franck J.D. Mennechet, M. Rosario Luquin-Piudo
- JCI Insight, American Society for Clinical Investigation, 2018, 3 (14), ⟨10.1172/jci.insight.98202⟩
- Early prenatal exposure to MPTP does not affect nigrostrial neurons in macaque monkey
- Mathieu Bourdenx, Sandra Dovero, Philippe de Deurwaerdère, Qin Li, Erwan Bezard
- Synapse, Wiley-Blackwell, 2016, 70 (2), ⟨10.1002/syn.21876⟩
- An Embedded Deep Brain Stimulator for Biphasic Chronic Experiments in Freely Moving Rodents
- Florian Kolbl, Gilles N'Kaoua, Frederic Naudet, Florent Berthier, Emilie Faggiani, Sylvie Renaud, Abdelhamid Benazzouz, Noelle Lewis
- IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2016, 10 (1), pp.72-84. ⟨10.1109/TBCAS.2014.2368788⟩
- Widespread Monoaminergic Dysregulation of Both Motor and Non-Motor Circuits in Parkinsonism and Dyskinesia.
- Michael Engeln, Philippe de Deurwaerdere, Qin Li, Erwan Bezard, Pierre Olivier Fernagut
- Cerebral Cortex, Oxford University Press (OUP), 2015, ⟨10.1093⟩